: Day 8, Term 3, 2026
Creative Learners
Empowering our students to think creatively
Unlocking Creativity in Learning
Digital tools like Canva, Adobe Firefly, and podcasts make it simple and engaging to share our learning with students and the wider community. Integrating creative approaches into education is essential for deepening understanding and helping learners share their insights.
Recording and publishing the poem Te Marama gave me valuable insight into how differently learners interpret text when given the chance to think deeply. It was a wonderful blend of creativity and fun! Throughout the session, we explored how multimodal tools can build on students' ideas and create rich learning experiences.
For our main post-reading task, we used digital tools to design creative responses for a resource register. I focused on a structured post-reading activity titled "Questions That Make Me Think!" To elevate the task, I incorporated student choice and collaboration, giving learners options in both the tools they use and the tasks they complete—such as focusing on character or setting. Recommended tools for these tasks include:
Visual & Storytelling: Google Drawings, Storyboard, Book Creator, and Canvato
Audio & Interaction: Voice recorder, Kahoot, Nearpod, Socrative, and Quizlet
Exploring the shared links sparked a timely idea for our school’s upcoming "Snack Attack" event next week. I plan to use Canva to design an instructional guide as well as our class promotional poster.
Finally, we explored using short films and book trailers to recommend texts to others. Effective book trailers can feature reading, reciting, singing, role-playing, interviews, cooking, crafting, or simple science experiments. Creating a short film to elicit an emotional response and "sell" the book Down Came the Spiders by Ally Russel was a highlight of the session. It gave me a great opportunity to reflect on and adjust my own instructional planning.
Thank you Team, It is really helpful and I am looking forward to adjust my planning more learning more creativity.
HI Asha, great to see that you got a lot out of the session today. I love the idea of adding film to your bank of response to text activities. I also note that you are going to try more choice and collaboration in the post reading activities, it's great that we have a resource bank that we all contribute to and use what is there already. I'm looking forward to our final session in a few weeks time! Kiri
ReplyDelete